A. define what a pitch is;B. use a pitch to convey an efficient message in a very short time;C. identify the characteristics of a successful pitch. What would you say to your ideal customer if you met him/her in the elevator in the break of a conference?
How would you attract his/her attention in just one minute?
A consciously built up pitch is a successful selling technique that consists of conveying succinct, consistent and interesting information to our customers or our audience.
Time needed to review this content: 30 MIN
Pitching is a widely used term in the „start-up” world, and it is mainly addresses to a customer, an investor or anyone important to the business. It is a brief, persuasive speech that is meant to spark interest in a project or products and to maintain interest with a view to further negotiations.
It was started in the USA, but nowadays pitch contests have been organised all over the world. It is also called “elevator pitch” (elevator speech or elevator statement) as – in extreme cases – it is so short that it can be delivered during an elevator ride.
In start-up environment pitches are 1 to 5 minutes long speeches, that in just a few sentences summarizes the most important qualities of a product, service, project, company or job seeker. An effective pitch must be well crafted before being presented.
This is a possible structure of an efficient pitch:
In this useful talk, Julian Treasure demonstrates the how-to's of powerful speaking — from some handy vocal exercises to tips on how to speak with empathy. A talk that might help the world sound more beautiful.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
Follow the next 10 tips to be sure that you make your audience’s eyes glow:
1. Make in impact at the very start! – (Instead of just introducing yourself) start with a very strong statement about your solution.
2. Finish your presentation earlier. Exceeding the given time frame means that you have not prepared enough. Practice before presenting to make sure you can respect the time frame.
3. Be entertaining! – As you are standing on the stage, you have to be entertaining. Practicing helps to show self-confidence. You want to save the world, don’t you?
4. Be straight! – The pitch is short, you do not have time to waffle. Talk about your solution, its advantages and how you will make your audience’s life easier.
5. Share a good story! – Tall a story that can engage people. A story will make your presentation entertaining and easy to remember.
6. Act like Tony Stark! – The pitch is a genre that does not allow you to be shy. “When you pitch, pitch like an American!”
7. Address your audience, not the walls! – The slides are meant to your audience not to you. Practice enough so you do not have to “peek”
8. Show images, not text! – Use limited text. It is more important what you say than what is written on the slides. Images should support your pitch in terms of mood, feelings, interpretation.
9. Demo of your product: software NO, hardware YES! – Demo of a software takes too much time to present. Use it only if there is no other way to present what it is about. But if you have a gadget that can seduce your audience.
10. Make sure that everyone can understand your pitch!
In our fast and quickly changing world time has great value. Entreprenuers have a very short time available to convince their customers or investors about the advantages of their solutions. Pitching is a good solution in this respect: it meas giving a short, conscise presentation to the chosen target group. It might seem easy to tak about our idea in 1-3-5 minutes, but if you want to present a very good and convincing pitch you have to invest several days in preparing and practising the presentation of your pitch.
Can you write a firts question that will raise the interest of your audience?
Use the NABC model to write a pitch of your products or service!
Find a story related to your idea that engages and entertains your audience!